Where and when to use a full stop correctly in a sentence?
A full stop is the most commonly used punctuation marks in the English grammar. It is also known as a period (.) in American English grammar. Full stop is used fifty percent among all punctuation marks in English grammar. Improper use of full stop can break the meaning of a sentence. Symbol for full stopis a single dot (.). Mostly it is used at the end of a statement or a sentence, but sometime we use it in middle of a sentence.
Below are the main usage of full stop in a sentence. Read out all points carefully and note down main points to master your punctuation skills.
Use of full stop at the end of statement
Full stop is used at the end of a statement that is complete in all sense containing at least one main verb. Look at examples below.
· The office was closed.
· I like mangoes.
· Mr. khan is very intelligent.
Use of full stop at the end of abbreviations
Period is also use at the end of abbreviations that are used for a complete word. Look at examples below.
· Dr. Raheed is happy today.
· Chief Justice Ali Rehman (Rtd.) will be chairperson.
· I like mangoes, apples, bananas, etc. during breakfast.
Full stop is also used for abbreviation that are derived from phrases and used after each letter e.g. (exempli gratia), i.e. (id est- that is
· Black color is beautiful for small vehicles e.g. cars, bikes etc.
Use of full stop at the end of uncomplete thoughts
Full stop is also used at the end of uncomplete thought or to show pause (… three times, knoen as elipses also) as in dramas or plays to sho half spoken thoughts. Look at examples below.
· If you will come late, you wil…
· The reporter said: “All shops… should stay open… until seven o’clock.
Here is an exercise for stuents to place full stop where necessary in the sentences below
· I should like to visit USA one day my dearest friend lives there
· Dr Jane examined carefully she could find nothing wrong she said I need to take rest
· At new year celeberation we saw a movie about moon on tv last evening there was wonderful journey to moon but moon seemed at long distance
Articles related to punctuation marks:
Where and when to use full stop?